Sunday, January 30, 2011

Just a Little Prep Work Done

The weekend was rather slow on the front of airplane construction. I could make all kinds of excuses but the truth is that I just wanted to enjoy myself on my birthday weekend and so I did. On Saturday I wanted to go flying and just when I was rolling to the run-up area I saw my friend H.L. taking off in his sleek Eurofox. Over the radio I found out that an event I was missing out on for years (years in which I was still flying PPGs, powered paragliders) was happening just now, the Arizona Flying Circus event, hosted by the Motown private airstrip (5AZ6) in Maricopa County. As I didn't have anything planned but to get some time on the Hobbs meter, I checked my fuel level and the distance and headed there. I didn't have my camera with me, so now I can't provide any photos but I can assure you that the event looked like a lot of fun. I just wish my knees would be 10 years younger and I would have probably brought my own gear to fly there.
On Sunday, I spent a little time in the shop to look ahead. As I had messed up the step support angles by cutting off part of the flange on all four angles instead of just two, I cannot finish this section of the build and it seems that most of the rest of section 21 is related to the steps. So I picked some support tasks from the next manual pages, i.e. dimpling holes, installing nutplates, etc. to keep me a bit busy. I didn't spend too much time in the shop though as my wrist finally is getting better and I didn't want to aggravate it again. I guess those two days of easy labor and one whole day off might have made the wrist this happy.
Monday will probably be shop time again but I have to see what else I can pick to do while waiting for the replacement angles to arrive. I might have to start on the forward fuselage (firewall) with section 22 to keep me busy or I have to go back to section 10/11 and fit some of the fiberglass parts to the rudder and vertical stabilizer... We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment