Friday, January 14, 2011

Left Flaperon Finished

After adjusting the slightly bent skin from the transport to me and putting some rattle can primer on some overlapping aluminum areas and letting it sit for a while I was able to finish this piece of aggravation today. Not just that! I was also able to get out to the field and have some 70 minutes of pure joy in my RANS S-12S. It was a great day for flying and I was completely surprised that the Rotax 912S was kicking right into action after sitting around for way too many weeks now!
Well, back to the flaperon though. I had a hard time getting the vinyl off on one of the nose skins. It appeared that this one was from a different batch as the markings on the aluminum were in blue instead of red like all the rest. And this vinyl was a pain in the b*** to get off. I finally got my hair dryer out (ok, you know I don't need a hair dryer - it was my wife's, shhhh) and heated up the metal before pulling on the vinyl That seemed to help and made it just bearable.
The actual work on the skin was done quickly. After all, I was doing this the third time now.


The bottom had already been riveted and you see the last few rivets to go to finish the middle and inboard nose skins.
Soon the flaperon was completely riveted.


All that was left to do was to put the bushings in and that's when I had a bit of trouble. It appeared that I couldn't screw one of the bushings deep enough into the flaperon to match the 11/32" distance requested. I finally got the tap out and drove it just half a turn deeper to get this problem fixed. Weird though as I had drilled and tapped all 4 hinges the same way ...
I also added Loctite 243 after making sure the adjustments were correct. Now the flaperon is sitting on the work bench and waiting for the Loctite to cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment