Friday, January 28, 2011

Belly Skin Riveted

This morning I finished riveting the belly skin. Setting the rivets didn't take too long ...


... and shortly thereafter the skin was completely riveted.


I found another mystery hole though. In the area of the pulley bracket there appears to be one hole in the skin that shouldn't be there. There's nothing behind it and it isn't even shown in the plans. I left it open for now until I have determined if it really is an unused hole.


Then I prepared the next section, cutting apart angle parts and made a mistake. I was obviously thinking about the soon to arriving finish kit and didn't pay too much attention to the text in the manual. So I overlooked that it said to only cut the flange of two of the four angle that will be used for the step supports. I have a replacement part along with more fuel line (a suggestion from previous builders) on order.
This will give me a little break that I will use to go flying tomorrow before a little bad weather system is going to touch our area.

2 comments:

  1. I looked at the mystery hole when I was out at the hangar this morning. It looks like I just went ahead and stuck a rivet in it - I must have figured that I can always drill it out later.

    Sometimes I think those are holes that were used by the CNC machines to hold onto the part, but that's obviously just another of my uninformed guesses. There are a couple more in the firewall that you'll come across, but the plans for those specifically tell you to put a rivet in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for looking. I thought the handling holes for the CNC machine are these bigger ones that look like #12 or something in that range. I guess I just leave it open for now and see if there's anything to attach to later. If not, I can pop one in here or there in a sec.

    ReplyDelete