Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Forward Floor Parts Assembled

I spent three hours in the shop tonight assembling the two halves of the forward floor. And now that I am typing this and looking at the pictures again I realized that I was getting too tired to do complicated stuff and sure enough made a mistake in setting one rivet where the hole was supposed to be left open. Ah, well, I will just have to drill it out tomorrow.
So, I started by match drilling the seat back hinges to the floor boards. This task is unnecessarily tricky on one side as the matching hole is one the same side for both sides. If they were mirror images of each other it would be easier to get a clamp on the opposite side of the clecoed hole to hold the hinge in place when drilling. The first hole on this tricky side will have to get drilled while you hold the hinge down with your hand long enough until the drill has settled. Maybe you find a better way, it worked ok for me.


This picture shows the tricky side as the matching hole that gets clecoed first is on the inside of the floor board. The only side that would have been easy to put a clamp on.
Both hinges turned out fine though.


Then those hinged floor boards got riveted onto the pulley bracket assembly and the flaperon mixer assembly respectively. Please note the one cleco on the left side that has the blue tape on it that says "don't put a rivet in this hole". When I was doing the other assembly my brain got fuzzy and didn't put this reminder on. And sure enough I saw an empty hole and filled with a rivet. Duh!


And after riveting there is a line of four holes from the outboard side (down left in the foreground).


And after finishing the side with the pulley bracket assembly, there is a row with only three empty holes from the outboard side (down right in the foreground). The rivet right next to the seatbelt bracket has to be removed.


And then, after finishing those two floor halves, I put them in the position they will get riveted onto the center section, probably tomorrow evening. Thereafter the temperature better get a bit higher because I will have a very hard time getting around this fuselage part in my shop and will want to put it outside again. We'll see how that's going to play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment