Sunday, January 23, 2011

Forward Floor Parts Primed

Yesterday and today I worked on the forward (lower) floor parts, as aopposed to the forward floor parts I'm going to sit on. Yesterday I did my share of deburring, today I prepped and primed the parts. Please note in the following picture how elegantly I put the curved side skins over the forward floor bulkhead. If you look hard you can see the flange of it under the most right belly side skin.


That also included some small stiffeners that will go onto the belly skin.


And it included the landing gear tunnel. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the shoot when the fuselage was still sitting outside on its side where I painted it, so I had to do a tunnel shot when it was back on the work bench. Did turn out nice though.


The only exciting thing that happened was when I was mixing paint. I had planned to use up the EkoPoxy when spraying the tunnel and use what ever was left over for other parts. Well, that didn't turn out so well. I was mixing it the usual way, pouring all the rest of the paint in the mixing cup. Around 330 grams - that's when I had a short thought of "I hope there's enough activator left to mix this with" but I wiped that away cause I thought a reasonable company would never give you too little of the activator for the paint, right? The necessary amount of activator was 330 grams / 5.6 = 58.9 grams. When I poured the rest of the activator in the mixing cup the scale showed only 28 grams. Way too little to even think about spraying this paint. So, in lieu of more activator I had to toss out the whole batch. Bummer that as the quart sells for $50 and I just tossed a third of that because of a few grams of missing activator. I wonder what went wrong the two times before though, as I would think they would provide a well measured pair of components that you can use up completely. With the 28 grams of activator I would have still had 173 grams of paint left over that would be unusable. That seems to indicate that I had used too much activator before but I used the same gram scale and I was very diligent when mixing the components.
Hm, I think I contact Stewart and see what they say ...

No comments:

Post a Comment