Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Lot of Different Things

Phew, that was a busy Saturday and we were getting close to a 100 F while I was working outside. Silly me!
I finished the short brake line hoses that get attached to the master cylinders. As I didn't pay too much attention to the brake line length that were requested thereafter I foolishly cut the short lines off of one 15' coil. MISTAKE! If you read this and haven't done this yet, make a mental note to revisit this page before getting yourself set back. The 15' coils that are provided are supposed to be used evenly. So if you cut off all the lines for the left brake of one coil and then all the lines for the right brake from the other it will work out fine. A little note in the instruction would have been nice ... Anyway, my order on another 9' of brake line is in and until then I'm just going to let it sit as I won't be able to finish it anyway.


To keep me busy, I then went ahead and made those cutout in the side skins to allow the wing spars to get through. I used the HF pneumatic nibbler for this, as well as a rough hand file and a 1" SB wheel (the cutout is supposed to be a bit less than an inch wide, but the SB wheel was well worn, so it fit in, I also made the cut out a bit wider).


This is the left side which has some obstacles close to the left wing root that I made some room for. The wings cover this cutout, so it doesn't have to look extra pretty. I guess this is functional enough.


It didn't look like my right wing needed any extra clearance. I'm not completely sure though as I store the wings outside and taped all the openings up quite well. As far as I could see this should be fine and if not, I can fix this later before pushing the wings in for the first time.

Then I did a lot of deburring work to get ready for next weekend's spraying session, I hope to do the prep work including priming during the week at night.


That was enough work for a hot day but I don't know what drove to me to open the next can - namely section 24 - which deals with the rollover bar.
Whatever it was, it made me cleco this structure together and then start final-drill all the #40 holes in the flanges to #30. It didn't look like much, but it sure took me quite a while. Partly because I only had the suggested amount of #40 clecos. That was just enough to cleco one side of the rollover bar to the inside reenforcement strips but that was enough to start final drilling and then removing the #40 clecos, replacing them with #30 which I have a lot more of.


Here you see the forward rollbar half clecoed to the outer support strip. Another one goes on the inside and that ate up all my silver clecos.
I forgot to take more photos during the process of drilling and replacing clecos. The rollbar gets pretty heavy because of all the clecos in it.


Here you see the parts taken apart after finishing the drilling, ready for deburring. It was 6:30pm at that point and I had to yet clean up the mess I made on the patio. Tons of shavings and sharp nibbler leftovers had to get vacuumed up.

1 comment:

  1. 100F!! At least your humidity is relatively low compared to ours. If it hits 100F here, no one leaves their house.

    ReplyDelete