Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pedals Completed

Note: Please make sure you have read my refitting blog entry before you follow this step. It turned out that I was not tightening the fittings enough and had leaks all over the place.

That was even quicker than I thought. I finished the assembly of the pedals tonight.

I started catching up with what I had left behind yesterday. Picking up the problem of how to secure the position of the brake pedal for drilling. I discussed this with my colleague Tom today who built an RV-3A. Although his pedals were different in design he suggested using a wood block to attach the pedals to. I picked this up and used one of my bigger clamps. The block ensure that pedal stayed in place and the clamp didn't slip off.


This held in perfectly in place during drilling. The inner pedal also posed a problem as it didn't allow for direct contact with the block. Well, that was until I taped an additional offset piece on.


Worked great again.
Boelube and my beloved Sioux drill went through the steel like butter.
I repeated those steps on the other side and took everything apart for deburring and cleanup. I didn't forget to mark every part before disassembly to be able to put it back together again. While the parts were apart I also added the fittings to the brake cylinders as suggested by the forum.


Then putting it all back together. I added the grease for the brake pedals and I had to file away some material on one of the pads as it rubbed on a weld. The other 3 pads went on without any problem. I also inserted the clevis pins, so the unit is ready for installation.


I will probably work on the lines tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment