Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rollbar Primed Inside

After a long time I got to spray Cortec 373 green again. I almost forgot what a great product this is. Now spraying it with my latest HF gun I had even more fun watching how nice and smooth it was laying a green tint on the aluminum. Great stuff indeed. Two coats and done.
I sprayed more parts than are visible in the following picture but I had just finished spraying and I didn't want to move the part into the shop yet. In fact I think I'm letting it sit in the paint booth over night as the Cortec stuff doesn't mind lower temperatures.


The inside of the rollbar is completely primed and on Friday I will spray the white primer for painting. Saturday is out for painting as the forecast temperatures are below recommended level of application. Sunday should be workable though.

The next step on the rollbar would be to rivet the parts together and make the rollbar assembly. I will not do that as a lot of people on the forum had trouble following this order when they then wanted to put the rollbar on the attach blocks and match drill them. They needed a spreader to open up the tight fit before they could slide the rollbar on for that. Bill Hollifield came up with a much better and simpler approach that ensures proper fit and no headaches. You wait until you can loosely screw the rollbar attach blocks on the center bulkhead of the fuselage. The you cleco the rollbar parts onto the block and connect everything as it's supposed to be assembled. NOW, you rivet the rollbar together and ensure that it still fits perfectly on the attach blocks. You can then match drill them right there and finalize the assembly.

I also got my brake line from Van's in the mail and so I can finish section 27 on Saturday when it's too cold to spray paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment