Monday, April 25, 2011

Rollbar Painted - The Sequel

Despite me developing a full blow flu (in this temperature, go figure!) I was able to spray the other side of the rollbar and the reading light brace. The job turned out very nice again.


The scale has absolutely no meaning to this picture and shouldn't even be there. Please ignore it.

While I was feeling a bit better and waiting for the paint to cure I worked a little around the fuse, mixed some Pro-Seal and put the upper firewall onto the fuselage. I also match-drilled the little stub pieces of piano hinge and riveted them into place. I hope everyone at this step realizes that the upper screw hole for the nutplate that gets half riveted to the firewall and half to the side skin has to be dimpled for a #8 screw. If you riveted the stub hinges in place without doing this it's either drilling those rivets out again or dimpling the hard way by forcing the screw in. Not sure you like the looks of the later in such a prominent area.


The last thing I did before the flu took the best of me was to rivet the little diagonal stiffeners onto the side skin from the front inside area.


I took the photos tonight as I was just too exhausted this afternoon to do anything but lying down.

The next steps are messy and require firewall sealant to get spread around to seal off the cabin from possible fumes in front of the firewall. In my current condition I better hold off on that one until I feel better.
Maybe I can do some light riveting job with the rollbar while I'm forced to be at home...

2 comments: