Friday, April 29, 2011

Section 24 Completed

I am slowly getting over this flu and I was able to fool around yesterday for half an hour and today a little bit to complete section 24, the rollbar story.
Yesterday I just clecoed on the rollbar and its supporting structure to see if for one the rollbar would still slide over the bases and second to see if the overall fit was still satisfactory. Both questions were answered positively.


When priming the bases I remembered the inherent roughness of the green Cortec primer that I had used on the inside of the rollbar. So for the bases I didn't feel it was a good idea to use Cortec again as it might have made that sliding-over part very hard to accomplish. Instead I wanted a primer providing a slicker surface which the Napa 7220 stuff is definitely good for. That's why you might have noticed the bases in previous pictures to be grey in color after the priming.
I don't know if this was the reason why it all worked out well but I was definitely able to slide the rollbar over the bases without any help.

Then, today, I riveted all the parts together that were just clecoed yesterday. It wasn't much of a problem except for a lot of manual labor with the CQR (Close Quarter Riveter) as I refused to rivet the aft part of the brace to the aft bulkhead from the easy side. This would have been from the tailcone side which could have been done with the pneumatic riveter all along but then exposing the ugly warts of the shop head on the inside whre they'd been visible. Instead I riveted from the cabin side and that was a bit awkward to say the least.
Anyway, now that it's completed this will soon be forgotten. Enjoy the nice shots ...




No comments:

Post a Comment