Saturday, March 19, 2011

And a Little Closer to Painting

Today I worked on a few different assembly jobs, some primer touchups and surface prepping for painting. The assembly mainly focussed on Section 26 which is the seat backs. I assembled them with painting in mind, so I left all the piano hinges off except for the bottom one as this needed to be in place. I will tape this one before painting tomorrow.


Putting it together for the match drilling of these two mysterious bottm holes that get screws instead of rivets although they don't really hold anything. I'm wondering if anybody found out why they get screws and not just rivets ...


One seat back done. The second one went together just as nicely and without any problems. I also had to prep the surfaces of most of the parts I had primed before. Since day one I seem to have this problem of spraying too lightly and then adding additional coatings too late and just as lightly again. The result is a very rough surface of the primer. I smoothened that a bit by "sanding" it with an SB pad. That works quite well and is less dirty than sand paper. Now the parts that are about to get paint are in better shape than before. Let's hope I do better with the actual paint!


These parts are getting painted in a second session as they are too complicated for my first run.


This is what I have already set up in the paint booth, so I can start early in the AM tomorrow and get the rest of the warm day to cure the paint.
The other assembly I worked on was the vent doors.


They took me half an hour to put together, mainly because all the holes were quite tight and needed match drilling with a #40 bit as well as countersinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment