Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Paint Session Two Complete

Yeah, I know, the titles lack some creativity recently. If you want to suggest something better, go ahead and email me, I'm more than willing to consider something else. Dave always comes up with something thrilling...
So, I had my second paint session today and I am even more impressed now that I was able to repeat the results from the first session. I am usually good with something that I try the first time as I am very cautious and alert. This fades quickly once I succeeded and then I make my mistakes during subsequent runs as my mind is repetition mode but the knowledge hasn't really settled. It seems that this paint system is not so complicated after all. It was a little cooler today and I didn't mix so precisely as I did last time, exceeding a gram here and there. Still sprayed like the first time and turned out beautifully. I just moved the parts into the shop for overnight heating and saw a flawless finish.


I also got to rivet a little to feel some progress - although it was just 16 rivets to attach the piano hinge to the seat back support brackets.


So, here's the plan for the next days. Because there's nothing left to assemble before the fuselage is painted, I see to put the masking tape on and scruff the surfaces of the canoe before the weekend. Then on Saturday I hope to move the canoe into the paint booth and get the thing painted in the morning, to maximize the curing time at advantageous temperatures. I might have to put a space heater into the booth over night to keep the temperature high enough.
On Sunday I should be able to pull the canoe out of the paint booth and back on the work bench to get some assembly done. The side skins will go on next, so I should prep and prime them soon. This could be done during the week in the evenings. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself with this planning. Let's see how the interior turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment