Monday, March 21, 2011

Paint Results

Last night, before going to bed, I moved the parts out of the paint booth into the shop and turned on the heating to ensure it was warm enough over night to maintain the curing process. As I haven't had any experience with this paint yet I wanted to be on the safe side and rather overdo it than falling short and having to deal with a possible mess.
This morning I checked on the parts and turned the heating off. I am impressed with the results!
I'm really not a painter at all. I never did this before and I feel that my talent with a spray gun is more on the weak side (trying to be nice to myself here). However, the finish turned out to be great! There are a few areas where it's not so great and I remember that these are the ones where the primer came on a quite rough and couldn't get fully smoothed by scotchbritening (cool word, huh?) then either. It's not bad but significantly rougher than the surfaces where the primer was all smooth and almost shiny in finish (well, not shiny because it's a flat primer).
That confirms the saying that a good paint job roots in a good surface preparation. Whatever you mess up there cannot be fixed with the paint. Every effort you put in the surface prep will then show up in a better looking paint job.
Nothing new, but I guess I had to prove it.
Again, I am very happy with the results. The paint booth worked well and kept the contamination to a minimum. Only a handful of spots where some dirt particles got on the paint (probably stirred up from the floor) and I can totally live with it.

Now, if I had a really large paint booth, climate control and filtered ventilation, I would really do the exterior myself. I think the Stewart paint system is manageable by a paint newbie (to avoid the term 'dummy') like me and, boy, you gotta love that easy water-and-soap cleanup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment