Saturday, October 23, 2010

Prepping Skins

I did a lot of different work today. There first was extensive deburring of the edges and all the holes on the outside of all 3 skins for the left wing. The holes are punched from the inside, so only the outside needed that time consuming deburring done.
Then I removed the vinyl around the rivet lines which took so long that I was wondering if the additional protection was really worth the effort.
Followed by some taping and marking of the areas on the outside of the skins where I will prep and prime because skins are overlapping or where the doubler is being added on the inboard skin.
All this preparation work seemed to have taken up the better half of the day when I finally got to do the actual metal prepping. It was getting close to sunset and it turned out that I was only able to do two of the three skins.



The middle one which is being riveted last has yet to be prepped which I hope to do tomorrow morning right before shooting the primer on all prepped surfaces.


Oh, and I also put the wire for the nav light in, but I think that actually happened yesterday or the day before yesterday, I just forgot to mention it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment