Saturday, October 16, 2010

Left Wing Skeleton Done

That was a long day today. I started at 11 am with cleaning the prepped ribs by wiping them with Acetone. There's always some residue on them that I want to get off. The primer sticks much better on clean aluminum.
Then I went on shooting the primer on 14 ribs. That went pretty quickly with the big gun but I needed some time detailing to really be happy with the result. Because of the large amount of ribs I had to utilize my trucks' hood as a drying rack.


That way I could shoot the next stack while the previous one was drying on one side. I think that was the main reason why the process went fairly fast.

After some time cleaning up and getting the paint out of the gun in which the primer had some time to settle, I went on to prepare the fun of the day: riveting those ribs to the spar!



I followed the plans, started outboard and worked my way inboards - rib by rib. This way I had enough room to rivet the ribs with the manufactured head on the ribs as they asked to do.


Here the outboard 5 are done.

When getting further inboard the ribs have to be riveted to the flange angle as well as to the spar. These ribs then have a rear flange. When I riveted those I first riveted the upper and lower hole through the ribs web into the spar angle. Then I riveted one of the rear flange holes and then the web hole right in front of that. That way I had always enough room to get the P26A riveter lined up and didn't have to use a wedge tool.



Getting the inboard 4 ribs riveted was a pain. The spacing is so narrow that I could hardly get the riveter in there to do the job. This got real bad when the one -L rib (second from inboard) was riveted. This one goes in opposite to the other ribs which mean that then I had to rivet from the right. But on that side was already a rib installed, so I had to bend that one out of the way to be able to open the handles of the P26A. It's awkward but it worked without damaging anything.

After 3.5 hours of riveting I had this:



Just because I mentioned the time... so far I have been working more than 37 hours on the wing kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment