Sunday, October 10, 2010

Main RIbs Riveted to Left Spar

With the efforts the of the last two days everything was ready to start on the left spar. Before I wanted to do that I wanted to catch up with a few left out tasks from the previous pages and get these out of the way. They consisted of riveting nutplates to 3 nose ribs and riveting the doublers to the front of two main ribs. That didn't take long - including one drill out procedure because of slipping off a rivet in the wrong moment. No harm done.


So here I was, rearranging the work area in expectation of the Fuse kit delivery tomorrow afternoon. Main goal: Getting the spar as close to the workshop as possible to ensure short ways when getting needed tools.


Here we go, ready to attach some ribs! Despite the manual telling me to cleco and rivet rib by rib (or at least that's what I translated from Oregonian), I decided to cleco all the ribs first before starting riveting.



Notice that the inboard rib is mounted with its rib double on the outboard side of the flange although this doesn't look right as the doubler will get bent in the riveting process. Van's and some blogs confirmed this is the way to go.


All ribs clecoed, ready to insert the rivets and start my favorite part! After about an hour of fun - well, partly as you either have to fiddle with the wedge tool or use the manual tight spaces riveter in between the inner ribs and on the rivets next to the spar bracket flange - it looked like this:



This went so well and there was still some energy left in me that I decided to go and add the rear spar as well. Besides, the whole structure is quite wobbly before you attach the rear spar and I didn't want to get anything damaged when I run into it at night.
The rear spar attachment requires some match drilling on the inboard rib. So on it goes for drilling...


... and off it comes for deburring and cleaning away the chips. Then it goes on again and the riveting starts. I don't want to bore you with the details, so here's the end result.


Make sure that you use LP4-4 on all four holes on the inboard rib, the one you match drilled before.



And that was the end for today! Nice looking wing that is... So, now the nose ribs have to get some prep 'n' prime treatment and then the left wing skeleton would be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment