Sunday, April 22, 2012

Skyview Retrofit Started

I couldn't help myself, I really needed a break from this fiberglass work. Although I am really close to finsih the canopy section I decided to do what I like this weekend and that's metal work. Also, I didn't get the replacement template from Van's yet and so I don't have a good copy of the final trim template that I would need to finish Section 34 anyway.
I started late in Sunday due to other commitments and pulling the fuselage out of the sun and back under the patio was the first necessary step to do.
I removed the panel cover and inspected what had to get removed for the SkyView. It turned out that the triangular shaped standoffs for the avionics stack support had to get removed as the layout had changed. Those I had already riveted in. The center brackets that support the center panel were just clecoed in and also had to get removed.

I decided to hold off drilling out rivets until I turned the fuselage on its side as it would provide for much better access. With the help of Elizabeth, I put the fuselage back on its left side. I thought about it for a while but it appeared that most steps would benefit from this position and only one or two would have a slight advantage with fuselage upright, so I decided on the sideways position.

Then I started Section 42D. As a retrofit builder you would likely have Section 42C too which relies on 42D being already done. If you complete 42C before 42D you will have to drill out some rivets.
In 42D I wanted to do the dirty work first. This would be comprised of extensive match-drilling and hole-widening using various drill templates. To get this on the way I started with page 42D-04 and followed through. It's a nice change that in 42D a lot of the pages just fly by as you complete the steps. Not like section 34 where I was working on one page for several weeks. This page-flipping experience induces a sense of progress like nothing else does.
Sure, the drill template just provides holes in places where recently shipped Fuselage and Finish Kits already have the correct holes but it still made me feel good.
The first template provides holes for what looks like some kind of plug that will get screwed into the panel base. Maybe for the USB connector?

The Dremel took quick case of the cutout as well as sanding the edges smooth thereafter. I also drilled the holes for mounting the Van's black box switch panel, including the holes for its fan.

Then on to the firewall and drilling the holes for the transponder mount and something else I haven't identified yet.

All the holes were deburred and cleaned up and then I went on to the tail cone to drill the holes for the ADAHRS brackets.

It did help a lot that the fuselage was on its side when I had to drill a hole into a flange behind the rear bulkhead that was supposed to get opened up to take a snap bushing. This will eventually house the pitot line on its way back to the ADAHRS unit. I will probably add another snap bushing for the AOA line that I will activate after certification. It is just so much easier to work back in the cone with the fuselage being so conveniently situated.


The last step I accomplished before shutting down the manufacture for the day was the installation of the ADAHRS brackets that get riveted to the top of the tailcone.

No comments:

Post a Comment