Thursday, April 26, 2012

Confusing Rewiring

I came home early from work to get a good move on the rewiring that was coming up. It didn't result in getting a lot done, though. I spent more than an hour trying to make sense out of the description on 42D-20 step 5 and looking at the actual WH-00026 wiring harness. The wires referred to in the description were nowhere to be found on that harness.
Finally, after using the search function on VAF and reading into some of the posts this started to make a little sense. I dug back into the box with all the wires and devices of the Avionics Kit and I found a bag I hadn't paid too much attention to before. It was the WH-00026 FIX-1 which contained the wires mentioned in step 5 and they had crimped the pins that go into the D-Sub plug. Nowhere in the manual had it mentioned that the harness needed an update. Allegedly there is a freshly revised 42D section available for download on Van's website but a brief glance at that page did not reveal major changes. I'll print out the whole section tomorrow and then see page by page if there are any changes.

Notice the FIX-1 wire bundle on the left side in the picture. The WH-00026 harness is on the top.
Finally, I was back at doing actual work. In this case rewiring the headset harnesses from both sides into the WH-00026 conversion harness. This required the wires of the headset harness to get spliced to the wires from the FIX-1 harness. In the following picture you can se that I made a mistake. I connected the shield wires first, they are striped black and white. For these you were supposed to use the two splices that have transparent plastic around them. You can only figure that out closely investigating Figure 2 and counting the splices in the bag that FIX-1 came in. They are slightly larger than the red ones. I don't think it's a problem worth correcting, so I left it as is.

I did better when connecting the green and white striped shield wires.

The next step was to then connected the signal carrying wires from each headset side to the harness. Here you see the harness half way down the road.

After crimping those splices on it was on to the other side and inserting those pins in the right holes on the D-Subs.

One pin had to get inserted in the Autopilot plug, the rest into the Options plug. Thanks to the snap lock on the plug covers this all went fairly easy. Make sure you have a magnifying lens handy when identifying the right holes in the back of the plugs. You don't want to use the extraction tool on all of them.

With everything connected I inserted the additional wires of that harness into the tunnel and routed them through the new snap bushings. I also cut off the two wires related to the lighting kit. I'm not sure why but I am following the instructions to the word. The ones I cut where yellow/green and purple/yellow.

Finally, I pulled out the old Tunnel harness (4 conductor wire going all the way back to the tailcone) that is not supposed to get used anymore. I followed the wires all the way to the Tunnel D-Sub plug and removed the wires from the plug. This removal of wires from the old plugs is the reason why I haven't put the backplates on the D-Subs yet and probably will hold off on until I finished section 31/31A which deals with this stuff. I want to make sure, I shrink the heat shrink tube on the correct amount of wires.

2 comments:

  1. This is an area where I'm very happy to have you leading the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally I can pay you back for all the times I thought that about your posts! There is more weird stuff going on in the 42 sections, make sure you don't follow Van's instructions blindly. I know you won't.

    ReplyDelete