Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More Of The Same

...sanding and filling that is. I quickly sanded down the micro-ballooned filler I had put on yesterday evening when I got home.

The surface is getting much better now and I think I am almost done with this filling task. However, a depression test revealed that I had a few spots that didn't connect well to the underlying layers of glass. The last layer I put on was in extreme heat and I believe the resin started curing too fast to correctly bond to the last layer of glass cloth. I broke open these spots that felt kind of springy when I depressed them. Here are the close-ups.

The left side was fine and just had a few spots that still needed filling.

I decided to mix two different fillers this time. I mixed the resin first and then separated a bit of the mix into a second cup to get mixed with micro-balloons for a thin surface fill and the rest I wanted to mix with flox for a more structural fill of the two large holes. I did not add any dye again as I don't believe you could see that from inside the cockpit.

Tomorrow evening I will see that I sand down the canopy line so I can apply a skim coat there. Hopefully the filled up spots won't need any more trimming. I think the floxed up holes might need a finishing touch but the rest should be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment