Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Adjusting The Dsubs

After looking at the tailcone for a while and getting a better understanding what Van's wants me to do there, I decided to hold off for a bit on the whole ADAHRS changes. The reason is that I want to also route the plumbing for an AOA tube as well as running a static line up to the panel base for a backup steam gauge pair of ASI and ALT instruments. I have orders with various vendors pending that contain all the small parts I need to put this together and I rather do this job in one session than stretching it out over multiple ones.
So I went along and drilled the big holes for the snap bushings that will route the additional wiring in the front tunnel bulkheads.

I closed those lightening holes so the debris wouldn't fall down where I couldn't vacuum it.
Then I started playing with the pin removal tool for the Dsub plugs. What an ordeal! I practiced on the AP74 plug that will not be used and got quite a good hold of it after a while. This worked pretty well until I got to the step where I had to remove all the pins from the 9pin Dsub plug that connected to the magnetometer in the tail cone. The important wires for the OAT were so thin that the tool caught on the pin rim instead of passing it. I actually broke one removal tool in the process before calming down and working it lighter but persistently with the backup tool I had.

Eventually I prevailed and got all the pins out. I might pull the twisted 4 conductor cable out as they said it wasn't used anymore. I want to open up the crowded snap bushings as much as I can. And, the extra weight is just dead weight anyway.
I also cut off the AP74 harness and sealed the wires with heat shrink tube.

More fun tomorrow, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment