Friday, April 13, 2012

First Sanding Done

After a double trip to KAVQ to pick up Denny from Deer Valley and showing him the status of my backyard project and taking 0.5 hr flight lesson with TnGs in the -12, I got to take a closer look at my canopy skirt.
Turned out I didn't do such a bad job after all. I started sanding the filler coat off I had put on last Sunday and I'm glad to see that the West Systems epoxy sands quite nicely. No signs of clogging up the sandpaper or any gumming. So that shows that the mix was right. I sanded almost all the filler off as you can see nicely on the right side.


The left side was not that cleanly sanded down but it also showed a lot of holes in the filler coat. I decided to fill that up first before sanding any further down. The sanding marks on the black epoxy showed the low spots quite nicely, so I knew where else to build up more material.


The bridge looked pretty good. However, it appeared that some of the thin strips that I laid on where not in the right area as I can feel a bump line in the layup. I think I might have to sand that down into the glass to get rid of it as I don't want to build up the structure with too much micro-ballons. We'll see how it turns out ...


I hope the dropping temperature is not affecting filler coat I put on late in the afternoon. I would really like to continue sanding some time tomorrow, to I can see if I need another filler coat. This shaping and sanding might actually be a good job for during the week as you cannot go for too long in a row and have to stop after applying the filler anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment