Sunday, April 29, 2012

Catching Up With Old Skeletons

Today was a day to follow up where I had long left the road. Section 31 to be precise. This is where all the the D-180 wires were put in. I left off when the APDC switch was supposed to be installed because this could not get replaced without cutting wires and so I put a big marker in there to remind me that I had unfinished business on this page.
So I hooked up the APDC switch but I didn't put next to the throttle control but will put it in the left panel in a more convenient location. Right now it's hooked up and just attached to the harness. When I get my F-00028 panel from Van's, I will cut the wires and install it in its final location and then connected the molex connector.
Another unfinished business was the little retainer that is supposed to tame the wildly growing wires and hold them to the skins while they travel trough the rudder area of the tunnel.

There still were wires in the panel area that didn't get connected to a D-Sub connector. They all referred to the tunnel harness and were the PTT switches, the Music wires and the trim harness P30.

Finally, I could put the backshells on the Optional and the Tunnel connectors.

Then the ELT bracket got riveted in. No problems there, thanks to my pneumatic squeezer.

Then it was time to jump back to 42D and pull the wires back into the tunnel. A task I dreaded because of the inevitable mess it would create under the panel base.

Looking good up on the panel base. Now for a look underneath....

Both conversion harness were connected and routed through the cushioned clamp for now. I'm not sure if there's room in it for more, so I connected it to the panel base again. We'll see in 42C if this was premature.

A professional pilot came by to investigate if my activities on the patio were any serious threat to his kids. As a matter of fact, they sound as if they are getting pretty big and I have a feeling that he was trying to lure them out of the nest to experience their first flight (and get their own food).

In the meanwhile, I prepped the mess under the panel base for a little reorganization. I taped the bundles together that had about the same excess length.

With a lot of cussing and cursing, I worked my way into the tunnel and started rearranging the wire bundles and put the first cable ties on. There is actually not that much extra wire that I could loop it as the instructions in 42D had suggested. Looks like I will have to improvise on this ...

Anyway, I grew tired bending in awkward ways to get to these wires, so I called it quits for today. More fun tomorrow, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment