Saturday, November 13, 2010

What a Great Airplane!

No build activity today but instead I flew up to Phoenix to meet Denny Myrick, getting a ride in his recently finished RV-12 and updating his Dynon to V5.4.
Boy, what an experience! I flew in with my dragster RANS S-12S which I thought to be light on the controls and fairly responsive. Once I had my hand on the RV-12 that impression changed immediately. The RV-12 is so light on the controls, you can easily maneuver it with just two fingers on the stick slightly pressing in the direction you thought you want to go and it responds instantaneously. As soon as you let the pressure on the stick go, the plane stops moving. Simply an amazing experience, seriously.
I think this short flight today gave me the will to go through the inevitable longeron bending process and other less enjoyable tasks!
And by the way, I really don't understand what all the fuzz about that Dynin D180 is that you read on the forum these days. The unit behaved perfectly without any hic-ups or anything and the update process was as smooth as it could have been (besides being a bit lengthy going through that RS232 bottleneck).
All in all, a perfect day. I logged 3 hours in my S-12S and secretly some 15 minutes of stick time on the RV-12. I definitely had an RV smile on my face the whole flight back to Tucson - and I wasn't even sitting in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment