Friday, November 5, 2010

Left Top Skins Riveted

I finished riveting the top skins as soon as I got home from work. There weren't that many rivets left and I had them already seated last night so all I had to do was starting the riveting fun.
Then I tried to put the wing doubler in place. I noticed immediately that the rolled edge at the front that I had put on wasn't rolled strongly enough to make for a nice fit with the wing, so I took it off. Increasing the roll, flattened the dimples on the pre-dimpled holes, so I had to re-dimple them. Also the dimples make it really tricky to break that edge effectively and evenly. In this case I'd really wish Van's hadn't done so much prep work for me. It would have been much easier to break the edge with undimpled holes and then just dimple them myself.
For now I'm almost ok with the roll. Only the most inner hole seems to have an edge that is not well aligned to the wing. I think I can adjust this without taking the whole doubler off, but this will be tricky and I want to do this when I'm fresh, so I just clecoed the doubler in place and let it be.


I also clecoed the rest of the nose skins in place and seated the rivets on all the left over holes - minus the ones I should leave open for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment