Sunday, November 28, 2010

Right Bottom Skins Primed

What an unusual day it was today. It started out cold but very sunny. The morning was too cold to shoot any primer as the minimum temperature for the primer is 45 degrees and the thermometer didn't make it that far up. So we went for a little hike up Sabino Canyon to lose some of the weight we gained over Thanksgiving. Walking back down the canyon clouds were building up quickly and the sunny day turned into a grey November day, accompanied by some nasty gusts.
When we got back home, the cloud layer covered 80% of the sky and the gusts kept on rolling so there was no thought of spraying primer. I am aware though that it will take some time until it is getting warmer again and I am really worried that I might run of usable weather to get the skins ready before it will be constantly below 45 degrees. As today was the last day of the weekend and my only chance to prime the bottom skins before next weekend (which I wanted to use for the top skins and get it over with), I needed an idea how to prime in windy conditions.
It was then when I realized that I don't have to use the HVLP gun to prime the skins. They explicitly say that you can use any method to get the primer onto the metal with Cortec-373. You can spray it, roll it, brush it and even dip it. So, I scrounged through my painting utensils and soon found a nice synthetic short hair roller that was perfect for the job. Fortunately the skins are all flat and perfectly suited for roll application. Good choice as it turned out because just when I started rolling the primer on, it then started raining on top of the gusts. And I was snuggly covered by the house and the patio cover working on the lee side of the wind. After two hours I had put two coats on each skin and now they are stacked in my workshop with the heat turned on to dry them.

No comments:

Post a Comment