Monday, November 8, 2010

Preparing the Wing Tip

I spent two hours tonight to prepare the parts for the wing tip. Mainly deburring of edges and holes of the skins. I also marked the cut out for the nav light and cut it out. I used a #19 drill to start a hole, widened it with the step drill (all the way through) and then used the nibbler to roughly cut out the hole. Fine trimming was done with the angle die grinder and a pink die. This resulted in large burrs that I removed with a file and smoothed the edges with a 1" Scotchbrite wheel. Turned out to be pretty good - yet I forgot to take a photo. I'll add that when I get back from work tomorrow.
By the way, I've noticed something funny about the Lighting Kit. As it was one of the optional kits coming out way after the all the other kits, the manual is laid out for adding it to an already built RV-12. Now, that I am adding it while I go, I could do it much easier and faster but as I don't have a manual describing this approach I have to read section 40 and fully understand what the purpose of each step is and apply it to my situation. This takes significantly more time and voids the advantage of adding it during the build completely. I wish there were two sets of manuals available. One for adding it later and one for adding it during the build with updated pages for the sections.
Tomorrow night I will probably start the surface prep on the wing tip parts as I finished all the deburring tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment