Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ready for Painting the Panel

I came home and started polishing the panel with an SB pad. It took out the slight shine the primer had built up and confirmed that the surface was smooth. I'll be trying to shoot the paint tomorrow morning as we're are going to have a calm morning.
After that I started working on the backplates for the rear bulkhead and the floor panel. A thinner metal sheet I had, got reinforced for the horizontal section of the bulkhead by bending the edges to stiffen it.

I even managed to bend the short side so I could rivet together the vertical and the horizontal support to accomplish even more stiffness.


Then I put the drill and cut lines on the floor panel. The center line will get cut, the line marked #19 will have the holes for the nutplates and the #30 line will have the holes for the rivets. Both outer lines are 3/8" away from the cut line.

Now that I see that the left line is almost in line with the factory screw hole, I might just shift the setup to the left a tiny bit to make it look more in line.
I also drew the lines onto the bulkhead and what I just said also applies to the bulkhead. I think I will shift the lines so they line up with the factory screw holes.

I'm a bit anxious about shooting with a new paint system. Allegedly it is supposed to be easier with Imron. We'll see. The cleanup won't be easier, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment