Sunday, May 27, 2012

Floor Panel Modified

Before working on the floor panel I finished the bulkhead back support angle. It needed the nutplate attach holes drilled and dimpled as well as the screw holes dimpled.
I did all put the corner hole which will get a one lug nutplate of which I don't have a sample here, so I have to wait until I get the actual nutplate.

Then I focused on the floor panel. I thought it through for a while and then decided against repositioning the drill markings. Lining up the screw holes would have created clearance issues with the back support and the closest flange.

The little angle you see is one of the tabs of the wing ribs we had to saw off. It has 4 evenly space holes in it and I used it as a drill template and as a stiffener for the back plate.
I separated the panel using the fine hack saw and for about an inch the sole saw blade again.

Drilling the nutplate attach holes and dimpling all the holes in the back plate was up next.

I had 6 of the countersunk K1100-08 nutplates in stock. With this amount I could have riveted the large angle for the bulkhead or the floor panel support. With the one missing nutplate type for the bulkead angle I decided to finish the floor plate as I would not be able to finish the big angle anyway.
So I riveted the three nutplates for the floor panel in.

Then I attached the backplate to the floor panel piece, using AD4-4 rivets.

Here you can see how I applied the angle. The riveted piece is much stiffer than the floor panel itself. I think this modification actually increases the structural stiffness.

This completed the floor plate mod. Outside I was spraying some primer on the bulkhead back support as it has time to dry sufficiently and bond to the metal while I am waiting for my order of nutplates to arrive.

I am running out of work at this point as I am waiting for the servo to finish the avionics installation before I can move the fuselage outside into the carport and continue the gear leg section. One of the few things to do was to install the power supply for the PCAS. After some thinking I decided to install the breaker the install kit came with. I will run the unit off of the GPS/ADSB power supply and I don't want to lose my backup GPS if the PCAS would have a tripping fuse. Here's how the panel looks like now.

Of course I will remove this breaker before certification and just put a matte black sticker over the hole. But at least I can set up as much of the add-on wiring for now and reduce the amount of work after certification. I am not completely done with the hook-up and will finish this tomorrow.
I'm pretty much out of work at this point without having the servo. I could just assume that it really was the culprit but I rather verify that before closing anything up.
Maybe I could look into the cockpit light installation and close section 40. I'm sure I'll find something to do ...

No comments:

Post a Comment