Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Section 31 Started

On my way home from work I picked up some handlebar grips for an ATV.


They had a limited selection but these looked nice and, more importantly, felt good. They almost feel like gel grips but not so much as to getting a wobbly feeling. I want to enjoy those responsive controls!
I bought them at Cycle Gear and the number in the following picture is their stock number. Also notice the recess in the top of the grip. It could take a metal inlay to stiffen the top for the microphone switch.


When you go shopping for your grips make sure you tell the clerk they are not for a motor bike, they don't have the gas twist grip! Otherwise you'll have one grip (the "right" one) being too big for the 7/8" tube. ATVs have handlebar grips were both are the same size for the inner diameter.
After cutting off the base of the grip they were ready for installation but I want to wait until the paint cured a little more. Would be horrible if it came off because of the friction from pushing the grips on.



Then it was on to page 31-02 and building those counterparts for the fuselage that match the electrical connectors in the wing.


See that template in the top of the picture? It's good that I keep bags from previous kits that still have content along with the list that describes what is in which bag. Turned out this template was part of the Wing Kit, gets used there on one side and then stored away to be recovered ... NOW. It took me just a few seconds to find it and verify that it is the right part.
Drilling and cutting was easy and I took extra care to not drill into the palm of my hand. See? Pain is a really good learning motivation! This even trains an old guy who's set in his ways - like me.

The riveting of those metal contacts onto the plastic wafer was a bit odd as it turned out I couldn't use clecos to hold the parts in place while riveting the first rivet. The body of the cleco was partially covering the hole I wanted to get the first rivet through and so I had to learn that in this case a cleco is not necessary. Just put the rivet through the first contact and hold it in place with a finger while putting the opposite contact onto the stem of the rivet and just pull the rivet. The force is not too strong on the contacts so you can still turn them, align them and put the second rivet in.
Once I found that out, finishing all the contacts was a question of minutes.


I had written a note down to make sure that the plastic wafer should get checked for clearance with the side skin before riveting it to the metal frame that will hold the assembly onto the fuselage. As my fuselage is currently covered with a tarp, sitting on its side and is stored away, I didn't want to open that box tonight. We have construction going on in the backyard right now and they should finish tomorrow. Before then I don't want to move the tarp on the fuselage.

No comments:

Post a Comment