Friday, June 3, 2011

Main Wire Harness Installed

On Thursday night I didn't post although I found the time to do some preparatory work for the wire installation. Nothing major, so I didn't care to do an extra post for that. Just verified that the counter plates for the wing wire contacts have the right side and do not interfere with the side skins, so I riveted them to those triangular metal frames and put them away for now. With the fuselage on the side all the time they shouldn't be on anyway.

I also got a replacement pressure gauge as my previous one stopped working either because water got in it or because I slightly overpressured it accidentally for half a second or so. Anyway, it didn't want to reset to 0 anymore and all the readings seemed to be pretty weird. I installed the new one that now goes up to 30 psi (as a precaution) and I connected the return line with a hose to the main supply line. It's now pressurized to 9.5 psi and still holding. I will let it sit over night to see if this is it. I sure hope so.

Today I started the wiring part of section 31 and this looked pretty shocking.


Fortunately for me I soon found out that I missed one snap bushing when routing the main harness and so I got another chance of making this look decent and preventing mistakes.


While I was pulling back the out the harness from my previous mistake I taped the bundle together every foot and so the harness became more like one long, thick cable and much more hand-able.

When I put those fans I could help myself but smile about that note that says that you shouldn't over tighten the screws as you could break off the edges of the fan. Well, 25 years ago when I was playing with electronics a lot and building PCBs and such, it was well known that you don't use a long screw on such fans without a bearing in between the edges to prevent this bending from happening. Nothing fancy, just a piece of plastic tube cut to length. I had a feeling that I still had some of that in of my sorters and sure enough I found just the right amount to make four of those tubes. If you look closely you can see them in the picture.


The first connection had to be made. This is hooking up the wires with the fuel flow sensor. Mine is an FT-60 as in all newer models.


Then the rest of the harness was to be run through the tunnel. Now it looks much more cleaned up.


Take a closer look at the conduit in the center section. I ran the 3 strings through it as described in the manual. But instead of running a new string every time I run a wire through there I just closed the string and made a loop out of it. That way I won't lose a string and can run wire after wire with it. Worked well so far.


Finally, when I got to the point of installing those pesky reed relays I decided to just pull the parts and prepare them but not to start this tricky installation when I'm tired. That is certainly a job for the morning when I have more patience.


And then, just before closing shop, I took a photo of the pressure gause to remind me in the morning what it read last night. A bit fuzzy, probably too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment