Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Finally Back at Building - a Bit

So I got my Repairman Certificate with Inspection rating - or not quite yet, but at least the course certificate with which I can then apply for the real FAA certificate once my pile of aluminum is registered as an ELSA airplane. The trip with Denny in his RV-12 to Corning, CA (0O4) was a bit long but a very good Cross Country experience that I'll probably never forget.
Coming back the temps are insanely high but I had to get back to building anyhow and so tonight I turned on the A/C in the shop when I got home. The thermometer showed slightly over 100F in the shop. After 3 hours of cooling the thermometer was still showing 90 degrees. I decided to ignore it and to get at least a little bit done.

I left the tank top unfinished as the filler hole wasn't cut out last time I worked on the top. Tonight I took care of that. Pre-drilled with #30, then opened up with the step drill to 3/4" and roughly cut out with the pneumatic nibbler. The files did the finish.


Now to finish the work on the tank top I have to rivet the reinforcement ring in to which the Moeller gauge will get screwed in to. This will be tricky as I don't have a yoke that would fit through the hole. I will use Joeri's method and use a hammer and a punch while the countersunk rivet is supported by a flat concrete or steel surface. This is a bit tedious but for 10 rivets that should be ok to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment