Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tailcone Attached

Today was the day to mate the two parts of the fuselage. Early in the morning I placed the tailcone behind the forward fuselage and got ready for the join.


I didn't just follow the instructions as I wanted to maximize the advantage of still having the tailcone detached. Knowing that wires had to be run back into the tailcone as well as up front from the tailcone I looked up the necessary connection and routed the wires before connecting the tailcone.


Running these wires through those tiny snap bushings that were getting very full was a finicky job. I have no idea how I should have done this had I attached the tailcone first...
The wires and static line were routed and put out of the way, everything was ready to join the halves.


The lower edge was matched first.


My wife helped pushing the tail slowly forward while I was guiding the skin parts to over or underlap correctly.


Pushing up on the tail and guiding the tail skins over the aft bulkhead was fairly easy. The clecos to hold it in place were quickly set.


Then the safety belt lugs were riveted in and a blue tape reminder was installed to not rivet the holes underneath it.


Then the sides were riveted.


And finally I went for riveting the belly holes. Unfortunately, every time I wanted to buy a creeper at HF when they gave out a usable coupon in the last months the local store didn't have what I wanted. That's one of the reasons why I will let my membership expire. So I had to do it the hard way, lying on a piece of carpet with out head rest.


Here's a shot from the other side so you would believe me that I was done at that point.


Late in the afternoon I was done and finally moved the fuselage to its new location as the old spot is just not big enough to get around it anymore.


5.5 hours just for attaching the tailcone ... I was amazed at how many rivets there were to get pulled. It looked a lot less than there actually were.
Now on to finishing the tank, so I can paint the thing (after testing it's leak proof) and then I can tear down the paint booth and move the plane in the carport were it will get its landing gear thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment