Monday, June 6, 2011

Headset Harnesses Installed

Today I got mail from Don from Southern Texas and he sent me the left over stereo audio jack that he had to by in a pair from Radio Shack. As he didn't have any use for it he mailed it to me along with the other 47 kOhm resistors. Thanks, Don!!!
That got me right back to where I had left off yesterday. I had planned to jump ahead and fit the control sticks in but by getting the audio jack just in time, I changed plans and rather finished off the wire installation.
So I had to solder 2 47 kOhm resistors into the wire connection to the headphone jack on the co-pilot harness. I did that as well as also adding an additional ground wire that runs the reference from the headphone jack to the little audio out jack. That way I don't have to scuff up the paint that could hardly get covered up effectively by that little hurled nut.


Ready for installation. I drilled a 1/4" hole with a #30 pilot hole and deburred from the outside. The inside had to stay as it was as it wasn't accessible to any tools. The little jack put up a futile fight by not allowing the hurled nut to settle low enough to hold on to the thin skin it was sitting in. I removed it and fitted a handmade washer to it made from scratch aluminum (boy, I'm really getting good at this).
Voila! Resistance was indeed futile in this case and the nut held the little jack in place this time. All the nuts got secured with a little blue Loctite and that should keep them where I left them.


The last thing I wanted to do to finalize the wiring as far as I can go with a Skyview panel available was to add ground wire to the center music out jack (just another 1/8" stereo audio jack). I don't like scuffing them up as they only allow for electric contact in the front through contact of the nut and the nut is too tiny to cover up the damage I would certainly do if I'd use SB wheel to do the job (and I refuse to scuff the paint up manually! This Steward stuff is really tough!).


So far so good!

Now it's up ahead to Section 32 for fitting the control sticks to the control column and then back to the wiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment