Monday, May 30, 2011

Canopy Painting Completed

After proving yesterday that the fuel lines are liquid proof I focused on finishing the painting of the canopy parts this morning. We had a refreshingly cool day that was perfect for painting and I made good use of it. Within 3 hours (some parts needed their opposite side painted as well) I finished sanding, cleaning and painting of all the parts.
All that's left to get interior paint now is related to the fuel tank. I keep the paint booth for a little longer to see if I can at least paint the base cube in it to improve the paint job.


After painting I checked the temperature to be 80 degrees, exactly what we had last night when I last checked the pressure in my fluid filled test.


The pressure reading is exactly what it should have been. I drained the system as good as I could without turning the fuse on its belly again. I will try to hook up the return line and find a better matching hose for the two different fitting sizes or try to widen the clear hose under heat to make it slide of the bigger fitting of the supply line. I am not too worried about the return line through as the problems I had were all related to the NPT side of the fittings and the return line doesn't have any of these.

I guess I will start with the wiring now and leave the fuselage on its side for that.

3 comments:

  1. If you'll send me that fuel leak testing rig for a few days, I'll pay shipping both ways. I'm getting tired of trying to piece the thing together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, no problem. You can wait a few days before I mail it out? I just noticed today that the gauge is a goner. It might have not liked the water or I might have over-pressured it for half a sec and it didn't like that. Anyway, the gauge is junk now and I have another one on order. Should be here this week then I want to do the full line test with the return line hooked up as well. I can send it out after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in no hurry. I don't think I'll do the wet test, but I'd like to get some idea of how bad it is from the dry test,

    ReplyDelete