Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Jumping Back And Forth

Not following the flow Van's has laid out for us really costs some extra penalty in time. Tonight is a good example for this rule. I wanted to jump ahead and fit the control sticks before continuing the wiring which would have required to run the microphone switch wire up the control stick. After this you wouldn't want to remove the hole setup anymore, so I rather do the final install first and then run the wire.
That started out well. I filed down the brass bushings to fit inside the control column bracket. Then I reduced the length of the guide rod on the end of the control stick where this bushing will sit in so it would just clear the bracket.
But when I wanted to install the whole setup to see if my attempt on the left side was correct, I noticed that installing the roll pushrods after installing the control stick might be a very tricky thing to do as the space around the bottom of the stick is very limited.
I thought about this a moment and then decided to do it right the first time and roll back to the beginning of the whole control stick installation and make those aileron pushrods first, so I could install them along with the control stick.
So then I was working my way through section 32 in reverse. In the end nothing got finished therefore. The pushrods got cut and pre-drilled as well as tapped. Now they are sitting outside and drying the primer I sprayed on.
The left control stick is still lying in the fuselage waiting to get installed to verify that the bracket is holding onto the brass bushing and not touching the guide rod in the stick.
But any progress is still progress, right?

By the way, I still have a leak somewhere in the fuel system. Last night I ran a test after noticing that I am still losing pressure over night by putting 11 psi in the system and shutting the fuel valve. I wanted to find out if the leak is possibly in the suspicious hose connecting supply and return line.
Well, when I came home tonight and checked the pressure was down to 6 psi. Opening the valve dropped it even further down to 2.5 psi. So I have a leak in front and behind the fuel valve. Oh boy! I still know that it's water tight to 10 psi, so I am willing to take a chance with fuel. I will put rags under the possible leaks and put just a small amount in the system to begin with. Maybe pressurizing it again to simulate operating pressure.
But this will have to wait until I am in a better mood to deal with this.

Tomorrow, I'll wrap the stuff up and get it ready to get shipped to Dave in Ohio who wanted to borrow the set for his test.

No comments:

Post a Comment