Saturday, December 4, 2010

Right Top Skins Primed

Today we had a wonderful sunny and warm day in Tucson and the even the wind was calm. A perfect day for shooting primer out in the open. So I started prepping the skins in the morning with Cortec-440 and then in the afternoon I shot the primer. I think, I finally have figured out how to get the best, smooth results in almost just one coat with the Cortec 373. Shoot it undiluted at around 70 degrees and shoot it wet, rather a little more than just not enough as this will show some dry spots later and it's a bit hard to tell while the primer is still wet but it sure shows when dried and held against the sun.
Try to apply a good coat on the first run and try to avoid touch-ups as this will create roughness if applied after the first coat has already dried.

Here are the three skins getting a tan:


I also got the top rear wingtip skin and the wing doubler done.



Tomorrow is supposed to be another warm day and I think I might go for a little flight before maybe riveting the top skins on later in the day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment