Thursday, December 9, 2010

Forward Wingtip Rib Installed

Sounds like a lot but is more a joke. I just had to do it before the next step which will require a bit more preparation to get finished and I am considering to hold it off. So this forward rib needs a lot of aggressive fluting to match the curve of the forward top skin. I was aware of that and yet still it takes some time as you have to cleco it on and notice that some of the clecos don't go in well. Mark the spot, take it off again, flute a bit more or use the seamers to reduce the flute and then cleco it back on.... and so on. After half an hour I was done with the adjustments and had the part riveted on.


Then I took a moment to roughly cut out the nav light access hole into the bottom wingtip skin. I used a drill to get an access hole in first and then used the nibbler to cut out the main part of it. Tomorrow I'll use a die grinder to do the fine work, followed by edge deburring. Then it should be ready to get primed and installed. This weekend I should be able to do this but then I thought I might hold off of riveting the skin in place.
The reason is that I will have to install the landing light which is just on the inboard side of the most outboard main rib and leaving the bottom wingtip skin off would allow me to get my hands through the lightening holes of that outboard rib and possibly make it easier to get the landing light installed. As well as making it easier to get the dirt and debris out of the wing after I'm done with the cut out for the landing light. So maybe I do the landing light installation after shooting the primer on the wingtip skin and while that's drying. Sounds even better to me now that I spelled it out :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment