Monday, April 22, 2013

SB 13-04-05 Completed

That was a quick job tonight. I came home from the paying job and started immediately on the SB to reinforce the oil canister bracket.
Removing the can came first.


I did not remove the battery and it turned out not to be necessary - if you have an angle drill that does not need the room the battery is occupying.

Next step was to mark the outboard holes and drill them.


The rib was marked and inserted and drilled through the holes in the bracket. Outboard side done.


On to the inboard side which has to get drilled from the inside of the cube if you do not want to remove the engine. The angle drill with the longer bit is good on the straight side while the shorter bit that is also visible in the photo is needed for the angled side to clear the battery.


Straight side was drilled and clecoed.


And so was the angled side.


Then the rib came out again, chips were removed and the rib and the holes deburred. Everything went back in and clecoed on and ready for riveting.


Riveting was a blast. I just took care to still have access in case I would want to drill out the rivets. The outboard side was all riveted from the outside, the inboard straight side from the inside and the inboard angled side from the outside again.


Finally, the oil canister went back into the bracket and got tightened.


1 hour and 15 minutes after I had started the SB was completed. Not too bad but I still hope I do not get many more of these interruptions on my way to completion. No, I will not ask the question, if I will ever get done with this project. As I know the answer to this and I do not feel strong enough to face it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment