Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Propeller Mounted

Before I could install the propeller I had to disassemble the spinner backplate and hub installation as it was on at the time. For fitting the spinner I had installed these with just a few hardware store screws and the final hardware had to be put in place now. This also gave me the opportunity to steal a great idea from Dave's blog. He had a really good grasp on how to draw a very accurate center mark onto the spinner backplate, and very easy to do, too!

Two of these scrap angles were enough to bring the pen right to the center. The backplate and the aft hub were put back in place with the correct hardware. Before I continue, one word of advice: If you are anything like me and hate reading endless instructions and rather look at a picture and move on, beware now and read the following paragraph as this is really important for your safety!
The Nordlock washers as they came in my bag are lightly glued together on their backs. As they install in pairs this makes sense. However, do NOT just grab and install them as they are coming out of the bag as they do not work the way they are glued together. You have to separate them with your finger nail or anything similar and then put them back together with their teeth interlocked.

The picture above shows the pair of glued together washers on the right and the separated and correctly put together pair, ready for installation, on the left.
The rest went easy. Here is the hub ready for accepting the blades.

Blades were installed with the help my wife Elizabeth. This is a delicate task and you really don't want to accidentally drop a blade and ding it.

I wrapped the tips of the blades in protective foam and torqued the bolts to 20 ft-lbs. and slipped the spinner to check fit and looks.

The fit on the back it pretty good. There is maybe 1-2 mm of fiberglass to remove to make it flush with the backplate.

Now for the adjustment of the spinner on the backplate. That's a tricky thing to do and might take a while, so this will have to wait to the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Torsten, I am just installing my propeller for the first time and am enjoying your blog. I am worried about the Nordlock washers, I think you have them the wrong way in your picture and description above. I think they are supposed to be installed just the way they come glued together? Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul,

      the Nordlock washers definitely go together as shown above in the picture. The fine teeth need to engage on each half of the washer pair so when the bolt is turned counter-clockwise, the torque will have to increase to overcome the lock force of the washers.

      Delete