Monday, June 11, 2012

OAT problems - part 2

Guys, I am getting frustrated. I received the replacement connector from Dynon today.


There it was! The piece that was supposed to fix all my OAT problems. I crawled back into the tailcone and crimped it on. Measured everything through from the Molex pins and got 6170 Ohms for a very hot 97 degrees - in the shade, not in the tailcone, where it felt like 120 degrees F.
I plugged it in and started the SkyView with great anticipation but to no avail. All I got was "---". I reached back in the tail and lightly pressed down on the connector to see if the reading would appear but no such luck. From this connector I get absolutely no reading at all.
I pulled out the old one and removed some of the insulation from the leads and pulled out the whole yellow wire when I did. A bad crimp, obviously. I continued to solder on a 10 kOhms resistor, plugged that in the ADAHRS and got a steady 25 degrees C reading when lightly pushing down on the plug.


So the ADAHRS is not the problem, the connection is.

I wrote back to Dynon but I sure have lost any faith in their quality control. I just dealt with a broken servo that messed up my complete avionics system and would have rendered me without any avionics if it had happened in the air. Also, they sent me a replacement servo which was a unit that was used and had failed before for which it was "remanufactured". And that was supposed to be a valid replacement for a brand new unused servo that had done nothing so far than being installed in a fuselage? The remanufactured unit was older than my servo that had failed. What are they going to do about the ADAHRS now? Will they again suggest to send me a remanufactured piece of used junk in exchange for a brand new unit that I have just paid an outrageous amount of money for?

So, far I am not impressed - not impressed at all. If I could I would probably opt for a 6-pack at this point and forget about glass.

On a positive note, I checked the canopy skirt and noticed that my resin injection had done a nice job of fixing the delamination. Now I have to find out if it fits ok and do the fine trimming.

2 comments:

  1. And to add insult to injury, Dynon Tech Support presents me with only two options to fix this problem - again. They offer to repair my unit (a brand new unit out of the box) after sending it in or to cross-ship a remanufactured used unit, just as they did with the servo (which had also failed right out of the box). No mentioning that I paid for something tested and working and that it is my time I am investing to determine the failures in their products and it is my money to ship around stuff that should have worked right away.
    This is simply not acceptable. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in this case. If I want to go ELSA, I have to stick with the Avionics chosen by Van's.
    However, I cannot and will not support this kind of unprofessional behavior when I can make a choice. My next project will definitely not have Dynon avionics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also informed Van's of the business practices of Dynon. I think they should know about this as the avionics is a major part of the attraction the RV-12 enjoys right now.

    ReplyDelete