Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fairing Work

Today I received my long #40 drill bit and put it to work. I drilled the nutplate attach rivet holes by using a #6 screw to hold the nutplates in position while drilling through the flange holes into the tailcone skin, clecoing as I progressed.
The only problem came up when I tried to dimple the upper inboard holes that are located right next to the vertical stabilizer. With the rudder horn in place, there's no room for the yoke of the squeezer to get to the skin.
I used my dimple dies for the pull riveter to get the dimples in the skin.

This problem will be more severe when the job is to rivet them in place but I had planned to take the rudder assembly off any time soon anyway. That should solve the problem then.

Done with the dimpling. One cleco each holds the nutplates in place until I can rivet them to the skins.
I expect to take the rudder assembly off tomorrow and to rivet the nutplates on in one session.

Van's cashed the check for the engine and I heard rumor that the crating department might get my engine into shipping on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment