Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Engine Ordered

There's no stepping back now. Today I've ordered the Powerplant Kit from Van's, accompanied by a check over the full amount. An amount that I rarely ever put on a check before. This really hurts, but I'm sure the first hour flying in this baby will make up for it.
Barb @ Van's said they had 6 engines in stock when I asked last Friday, so I hope to get my kit shipped right away when they cashed the check.

When I got home I got right back to the tail fairings where I left them yesterday. Task for tonight was to tailor some blue tape strips with what will be drill marks to attach the fairings to some nutplates that have yet to be installed.


After the markings were applied to the strips they had to get attached to the tail.


I separated and deburred the reinforcement plates that will hold the nutplates where the two halves will join.


A first trial fit of the lower fairing half showed that it needed a bit more sanding in the front where it touches the tail skin. I just had to get exactly to the scribe line and just remove it. Then it fit pretty well.


The top half was put on and it showed a pretty good first fit.



However, after a while of adjusting I decided that the upper half also needed a bit more sanding on the front to just remove the scribe line. Then it fit a tad better. It was getting dark then and I had to give it up for another day.


I assume I will be tweaking this thing tomorrow and then match drill the fairings into the tail skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment