Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Brake System Bled

I bought an 1/8" NPT brass fitting with a barbed end for a hose to connect to the top of the brake reservoir. This allowed me to hook up the vacuum pump and suck up the brake fluid from the caliper level.


In the next picture you can see how the fluid is slowly moving through the left brake lines.


The part in this task I didn't and still don't understand is that the bubbles in the line never stopped coming. I think the brake valves leak a bit of air when they are open to allow the fluid to pass. Amazingly these bubbles disappeared almost instantly when I removed the vacuum. When that happened the fluid in the reservoir rushed into the lines heading down to the calipers and pushed every air in the way out.



As you can see there are no bubbles anymore. I also checked the lines in the tunnel and the bubbles there were gone too. The brakes work and I will see later when taxiing if the brakes work good enough or if I have to redo the bleeding process, somehow avoiding the air leakage at the valves.
If anybody reading this knows how to do this better, please let me know!

This task finished section 35. The most important news is that I don't seem to have a bad leak. Tomorrow or in the next days we will see if they seep or not.

Note:
The bubbles didn't show in the lines but there was actually a lot of air in the system. Pumping the brakes showed the cylinders were full of it and when I later bled the brakes again from the bottom, it revealed that a lot of air was also in the lower lines and the calipers. The vacuum method does not work and the bottom bleeding with a little oil pump is the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment