Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Antennas Installed

In the morning I went flying with H.L. to find out if I still have it. I probably do as I am alive to talk about it. The plane is a Eurofox which is pretty close to an RV-12 flight characteristics. Very light stick forces, very response, Rotax engine and almost no drag to slow it down.
I still have to put some ground school in to get my BFR signed off but the flying went well.

When I came back I tried to analyze the OAT problem. I figured I might have messed something up during the installation yesterday with all the soldering. Turned out that's unlikely as I measure a 7120 Ohms @ 92F between the sole two wires that connect it to the ADAHRS. No short, no broken wires. I have to admit that I am getting a bit uncomfortable about this whole glass cockpit stuff. And annoyed too, that I have so many issues with.
I am talking to Dynon Tech Support and they confirm that the resistance I am measuring is about right for the temperature. I measured at the splice connectors, so theres still the chance that one side of the splice crimp is bad. I'll crawl back in there tomorrow morning and measure at the Molex.


This was my setup for the tail cone access. A plywood board and a rag as cushioning. It worked ok and nothing got bent.

After the OAT check I retrieved the rudder attach plates from priming and installed them on the rudder pedal horns.


The VHF antenna was next on the installation list. I had some trouble attaching the coax cable as it wanted to bend in a way that would have chaffed on the elevator cable. I ended up zip-tying it to the main wire bundle to hold it down. The actual antenna installation was easy as I had installed the optional nutplates and didn't have to mess with the nuts in hard to reach places.


The transponder antenna installation concluded Section 42C and the avionics installation as a whole. However, I still have the task open which requires me to register the ELT. As I don't have a tail number, I assume this will get done after certification


I'll be running the Stabilator cables to the aft end tomorrow morning. I want to hold off on the installation of the elevator until I have Elizabeth to help me with it though. Not sure what else to do until then. The canopy needs trimming work done but that also requires two people...

No comments:

Post a Comment