Sunday, August 29, 2010

Storing the Tailcone

Finishing Section 11 as far as it was reasonable without attaching the control surfaces to the tailcone, I realized I had a storage problem. The tailcone was still using up the better part of my little shop and it was tedious to move around it. With the wing kit arriving in a few weeks I had to find a better place for it for long-term storage.
Fortunately, we have a really long covered patio and so the decision was to find a cozy place for it out there.



On the right side you can see part of the wing cradle I inherited from Tom who just finished his RV-6A and didn't need it anymore.
As with the Stabilator, storing a structure like this outside requires sealing it up so the various Southern Arizonan insect wouldn't find a way inside. I covered up the tail with a left over Harbor Freight coupon flyer.



I think this is more than appropriate as most of the tools i am using to build this RV are indeed provided by HF.
Covering the front was a bit tricky as it's a large area to fill.



I used painter's paper that is used to cover the floor before starting a messy job.



With the structure sitting halfway inside the box the parts came in, I believe it to be roll resistant enough to not get blown over even in a bad storm. This has to last until the front fuselage is done at gets then joined with the aft part.

Oh, BTW, if you were wondering. The length of this tailcone is precisely 9ft.

No comments:

Post a Comment