Friday, August 6, 2010

Tail Cone Flipped

I finished riveting the rest of the few rivets that hadn't been done yet early in the evening. That was just a 20 minute job.



Then I flipped the tail cone over to put the bulkhead in. Now I had the first chance to look at the inside of the cone since I started riveting the pieces together. It was no surprise that the inside rubbing on many sharp edges around the saw horses and some of my failed attempts to pull a half seated rivet into position by pulling on it from the inside with pliers had created scratches, breaking the primer in some spots. So, I marked these with blue tape for a touch up.





After putting the aft bulkhead in place with clecos I noticed that the following things to do (routing a cable, placing a thread, mounting the static port) would all interfere with my intended touch-up, so I decided to do it now and hope not to nick anything else later. While I was at it I decided to give the rows of rivets a thin layer of primer on the inside just in case I happen to end up in costal regions frequently and salt water would collect on the bottom of the tail.





As the primer dries quickly to the touch but it needs a few hours to really settle and become mechanically stable to abrasion I decided to call it a night and close the shop early.
Now that the tail cone is using up most of my workspace in the shop I've noticed that I never read about a confined and limited workspace in any of the blogs. It appears that everybody else has at least a hangar to store or build parts and then the better half of a nice two car garage waiting at home. Well, I am not that blessed and I think that some out there thinking about building an RV have similarly limited space and might have a concern about that, maybe even keeping them from starting the project.
So I think I'll use one day these days and document a bit more detailed where I am building and storing my parts. If it helps only one guy out there to decide to go for it and start another RV it will have been well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment