Thursday, August 19, 2010

Trim Servo Cage Coming Together

No photos yet, I'll add them tonight when I get back from work.
I started working on the trim servo cage to avoid or, at least, ease the withdrawal pains that Dave experienced when waiting for the next kit.
As I had done almost all the prep work during previous steps, the cutting, deburring, repeat parts of this job were already done. I even had them primed already, so that was left to do was to rivet the nutplate and the stiffeners on.
The manual called out for a K1000-08 nutplate but it SHOWED a nutplate that did not look at all like the one it called out for. So, I spent some time reading ahead, localizing the screw that was supposed to go into it and verifying that indeed I had the right nutplate which was the K1000-08 the manual had asked for.
Countersinking was a piece of cake, now that I have enough cages to let them sit perfectly adjusted and ready to go whenever I need them.
With the last order at Avery (the clecos, remember?) I couldn't resist to also get a pneumatic rivet squeezer. They had a sale and my hand was just hurting too much still from the job on the rear bulkhead as if I could have ignored those huge savings ;-).
Anyway, this nutplate was the chance to try the squeezer on a piece that would be easy to repair if something went wrong. It worked like a blast! I should have so gotten this tool earlier!! I might have actually enjoyed the work on the rear bulkhead and finished it in a fraction of time. A wonderful tool and it will definitely keep its value. try to find a used one if you don't believe me.
Everything else was business as usual. I used to manual riveter for small places to pull the pop rivets with their manufactured head on the inside of the cage and that ended the night in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment