Friday, July 23, 2010

Preparing Parts, looking ahead




I was looking ahead today to scrounge up more parts for the upcoming priming session. The amount of time spent on cleaning the paint gun is a constant and the more parts I can cover in green during one session the less I am complaining about the cleaning time that follows a paint spree. So, I was browsing through the manual to see what else I could find to cut apart and deburr that didn't need any match drilling yet.
I couldn't find much more than two of the J-stiffeners that just needed two holes match drilled that could easily be managed and so I did that. As there wasn't anything else to find for the priming process but it was too late in the day to get into the priming I looked for a little side project that wouldn't carry me away.
One thing to do I found was the AEX part that will take the tie down eyebolt for securing the tail of the RV-12. It needed a lot of trimming and drilling and polishing but when that was done the part then has to be matched with the tail bulkhead and is an important step to finish this upcoming assembly step. It turned out that the little metal saw I brought back from Germany was a real life saver in this step. It cut a very clean and straight line through the AEX to remove the excess material for clearance with the Stabilator without marring up the metal too bad. The Cut & Polish and the Scotchbrite wheels did the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment