Monday, July 26, 2010

Aft Bulkhead Primed


Yesterday it was all shiny aluminum, today it's matte green. That's pretty much the summary of today's day at the factory.
Only one thing is worth mentioning and that's not even related to the priming. I wanted to verify that the thread I tapped for the skid bracket was ok for receiving the tie down hook. I couldn't get a suitable eyebolt at Home Depot but I brought home a 3/8-16 screw which was 1-1/4" long - just as the eyebolt you can order at Avery Tools. Now, when I was drilling the hole I saw the note saying tap 3/8-16 1" deep and I thought to myself, well we better drill this a bit deeper to be on the safe side. So I thought I drilled about 1.5" deep and I tapped as deep as it went without using insane force.
Now the surprise.... The screw did not go in all the way! I measured just a bit more than 1" as requested by the manual. So, now I'm wondering if I should install it like this or make an attempt to deepen it a bit to get to the 1-1/4" for the full threading of the eyebolts? But then why would Van's have requested only 1" of tapping? I assume at this point that there will be washers added to raise the eyebolt a bit although I wonder why... I think I might have to ask the Van's Airforce forum once more for advice ...

No comments:

Post a Comment