Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hinges Riveted and Some Prep Work Done






I thought there wasn't much to do until the Stabilator was done but I underestimated the time factor for the few steps ahead of me. It was amazing how much time it took to get them done. And so was the amount of rivets going into the rear flanges. It looks more like the skins are attaching the rivets than vice versa, if you know what I mean.
Anyway, the job was practically easy although lengthy, as I said before. Because of my resolution to prime the inside and all mating parts, I couldn't just rivet away and the blue tape on the pictures indicate some clecos that were not be removed as the splice plate had yet to be primed. So had the aft skins that also had to be partly match drilled with the ribs that were supposed to hold them.
When I clecoed these aft skins to the ribs to do the drilling I noticed that I had overlooked that the skins will be attached to the main skins of the Stabilator and thus will have a mating surfaces that I hadn't primed yet. Oh well, I was at prepping anyway and so I took care of that and sprayed a basically assembled part for the first time (can you see that I am still thinking about painting the plane before final assembly here?).
Priming concluded the day in the shop so it could dry and settle over the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment